Sunday, July 15, 2012

Bird Journal Tags - Part Two











I just realize last week that I had posted my Bird Journal Tags - Part One way, way back in May with the promise of Part Two to come within the week.

Here is the link if you need to refresh your memory.  (I certainly did.  The tags had secretly hidden in a box under a pile of paper!)

This post will demonstrate some of the different ways to adorn your tags.  I say some because there is literally no limit to the possibilities.  Remember these started as manila shipping tags.  They have definitely gone uptown!

 The images are taken from The Graphics Fairy.  She has wonderful bird images.

I put this one in the wrong order.  The back is shown first.  I stamped a bird with a Blake poem.  Then added a pleated tulle ruffle around both sides of the bottom.  The ties are torn calico ribbons.
The edges are painted with a silver broad tip Sharpie - front and back. I stamped "A caged bird sings" with a neat set of magnetic letter press alphabet and numbers. (Bargain found at Tuesday Morning!)  There is an ivory tulle bow on the front with a rhinestone and pearl stem at the top of the back.  Silver wire is used for the tie.
This might be my favorite of this bunch.  First, you know this is my favorite bird image - I have used it on furniture, signs and tags.  I gave it a pink tutu of  pleated tulle.  (I buy this from Linen Chic on eBay - she's reasonable and fast.  If you love "Frenchy" and shabby stuff, you will love her store!) I stamped the back with a quarter foil design with a nest and finished with blue French seam binding ribbon with a pink tulle and pearl stem.



 Mr. Spool Bird was washed with a coat of antique gold glaze.  He is very handsome, but difficult to photograph.  I added a gold chenille tassel (easily made within minutes) and a black stamped curlicue.  This tag has a gold wire tie.
 Whoops, this may be my favorite.  I love this turquoise,  the bird image on the front, and the black and white nest on the back.  The nest image from The Graphics Fairy was printed nine to a page for this size.  Vintage pom pom fringe was soaked in cheap vanilla for a distressed look. A section of two pom poms was glued to the bottom of the tag with blue French seam binding for a tie.

 I went a little crazy on this one.  I printed the black and white nest image again - this time thirty-five images to a page.  Using a circle cutter, I cut out the image to fit inside a bottle cap charm, decorated with pearl stems and attached it with silver wire.  The broad tip Sharpie came out again to edge the tag.  The ribbon ties are blue on blue circles.

I saved this one for last because the front and the back are different in style, but similar in theme.  The front is a color image of a nest in pink and blue.  The back is a page Karen posted recently on The Graphics Fairy and is very appealing to someone like me who loves old books.  I had to use it and scrapped what I had originally planned for the back of this tag. I added the stamp letters "Nesting" and used leather ties.



There will be a part three.  I plan to go all the way.  I am currently working on journals for these tags.  No promises this time about when I will finish and write a post.  Have you seen all the projects I have going?  

Got to go - it's very, very late (or actually it is very, very early!) and we have a crying puppy who wants to sleep with us. (NO WAY! That's what little puppy beds in a separate room are for!)

See y'all!




Follow Me on Pinterest  . I'm a Fan of My 1929 Charmer Blog!The Graphics Fairy {Primp} The DIY Dreamershabby creek cottageThese Peas Taste FunnyHookingupwithHoHHomespun HappeningsShabby Art BoutiqueThe Shabby NestFunky Junk's Sat Nite SpecialSixSistersStuff.comThese Peas Taste Funny

17 comments:

  1. Oh I love your tags! My favorite is the one with the tulle ruffle. I would have never thought to do that! Nice job on all of them! And don't ever let that puppy sleep with you....not even in a moment of weakness!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are just beautiful Donna - brilliant idea!
    And my " puppy " has been sleeping with us for more
    years than I can remember, lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these tags, Donna! So pretty...thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are darling! I just bought some tags to decorate. Hope mine look half as good as yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound like someone I know with all the favorites. Heck, you made em, you should be allowed to "favorite" them all! I think they are pretty amazing. So many ideas and ways to work out your creative ideas. Can't wait to see part 3...whenever it is.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your tags..ALL of them! I'm very intrigued to see how they related to the journals and am really looking forward to that post. Thanks so much for sharing at Etcetorize this week~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Donna,
    After your kind visit to my blog, and offering to join in our challenge, I of course had to pop over here! (Any friend of Danni's...) You and I could have a lot of fun together. I too am a roadside picker, and I've had lots of fun turning garbage into decor. Your tags are adorable. I will have to keep these in mind for my gorgeous daughter's upcoming 18th birthday. They'd make fantastic bookmarks for her gaggle of studious genius friends!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful tags (as featured in Karen's Brag Monday projects)!

    *My* favorite is Mr. Spool Bird--he looks so regal adorned in the antique gold glaze!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Danni from Silo Hill Farm sent me, and I'm glad she did! What a sweet blog this is, as soon as I have a little more time I shall browse my heart out. Have a wonderful day! (and did I hear you are joining the Glitzy HackOff? WOOT!!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm stopping by from Silo Hill Farm, and I LOVE these tags!! GORGE! (And can I have your hair?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These tags are amazing! So very pretty! Have a great week! ~ Judy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like these tags - beautiful colours, beautiful texture. Thanks so much for sharing them at our party this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice. I love the bird motif. You have a beautiful variety.
    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Donna, Love the tags! I really like mr Spool Bird and the back of the last one! Thank you for linking this up to Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty indeed! I like all the birds you use in your tags. Patsy from
    HeARTworks and
    papemelroti

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are simply beautiful! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see you again on Monday! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely tags Donna. Thanks for linking up at Shabbilicious Friday

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!