Friday, July 20, 2012

Glitzy Little Night Light

There is a hack off starting on Monday, July 23,  involving some serious glitz and some serious copying - stuff found at Z Gallerie.  Now until Danni at Silo Hill Farm challenged me to participate, I'll be honest,  I had never heard of Z Gallerie.  In fact, I may be misspelling the name right now.. (Spell check keeps telling me I am!)   But I followed Danni's link over to Life in Rehab and found a pictorial tour of her favorite store.  

It was loaded with goodies.  If my Chalkboard Countess was still around, she would love to visit.  It is the ultimate in fancy-smancy!  If you would like to participate, go HERE.  It should be fun.  I had trouble thinking of a project that either would sell in the booth or I would like at home.  Glitz is not really welcomed by the primitives around here, but I think I came up with three projects that suit me and maybe fit in with the Z Gallerie crowd.  The first is the glitzy little night light.  It only took a couple of hours and most of that was waiting for glue to dry!

Supplies:
*Glass jar from thrift shop
*Small silver pedestal (HL - $.89)
*About seven yards of tulle
*Nest with eggs
*LED white lights (so glad Hobby Lobby finally put out the Christmas stuff - I needed several sets of these and they are too expensive in other stores)
*AA batteries for lights
*Rust-Oleum Chrome spray paint (not shown)
*White duct tape (ditto)
*Did not use the wire shown




First I wrapped the silver pedestal with the white tulle and the strand of lights.  Next stick the batteries in and test the lights.  I moved the light bulbs around until they were more or less evenly distributed.










I wrapped the part of the cord that would show through the jar with white duct tape.  The control box will have to remain outside and sit flat behind the jar. 





You know, I cannot seem to do anything these days without Karen over at The Graphics Fairy.  Here's that Paris in a laurel wreath.  I know, I know, I have used this image to death.  Actually I have used it more than you ever will know!  

I use a wet Mod Podge reverse transfer method for two reasons:  did not want to wait and I was going to scrub it off to look distressed anyway!

I rubbed more than I thought!  But I took a Sharpie paint pen (in silver, of course, remember - glitzy) and outlined around the super-distressed label.


I took the country-looking nest outside to give it a spritz of glitz a la the Rust-Oleum Chrome spray paint.  Just a light spray - both top and bottom. I lightly glitzified the eggs while I was at it.

This glitz thing is sort of addicting.

Remember my silvered jugs?  I seem to be silvering everything!






I stuffed the lighted pedestal in the jar and tied tulle around it.  Then I glued the silvered nest to the top of the pedestal and fluffed the tulle inside the jar using a skewer.

 Now you knew I would have to add a tag to this, didn't you?  And  it also came from The Graphics Fairy.  The obvious image would be a bird, but did not have one printed so I used a hydrangea outlined it in silver (there it is again - maybe it is a sickness).  I did stamp a little nest on the back. 






Here is the top view of the glitzy nest in a swath of white tulle.  I added some more to really fluff it out.  

I have been known to tulle everything around - our Christmas tree is swaddled in 150 yards of the stuff.  No, you did not read that wrong - 150 YARDS!!! Because I am so miserly, er, frugal, I carefully remove it from the tree and roll it up for the next year.  Chucks says I am going too far - a big roll is only $10, but it has gotten to be a challenge to see if I can get it off the tree and properly rolled.



No, this is not one of my terrible photographs.  I turned the flash and the lights off so you could get an idea of how it looks in the dark.  Rather glitzy, wouldn't you say?

This set of lights also has a twinkle setting, but it is more like a disco than a starry night!





I have two more projects partially finished and the chrome paint is sitting around doing nothing.  I have that spool of silver wire and some silver glaze mixed up.  These projects have practically no use except for decoration, but it is amusing to play like this.   Come on and join the hack off - do something glitzy!

See y'all!





Follow Me on Pinterest  . Shabby Art BoutiqueFunky Junk's Sat Nite SpecialThe Shabby NestSixSistersStuff.comIt's OverflowingI'm a Fan of My 1929 Charmer Blog!Sweet Anne Designs - Sweet Sharing MondayThe Graphics Fairy The DIY Dreamer{Primp}These Peas Taste Funnyshabby creek cottageHookingupwithHoH

12 comments:

  1. Very cool Donna! I love the little lights and that silver birds nest...really cool! Thanks for the shout out and for inviting everyone to join in! Can't wait to see what's next! Oh...and yes, you are spelling Z Gallerie correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, I'm chortling like a maniac! I LOVE your project, it's pure fantasy and just wonderful, and the silvered eggs are perfect! If that's just the beginning, I can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your glitzy little night light, it is adorable and fantastical! Also like the little birds and lights. Wanted to say thanks that you stopped by and let me now how much you liked my pillow, room and colors. Very nice of you to let me know. I'm having a lot of fun decorating her. I'm hoping you might link this up to Sundays' Best this evening. Too cute not to share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy you decided to share your so cute glitzy nightlight. I love it so. So glad you shared your creative inspiration with Sunday's Best - you helped to make it a great partay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SO sweet! Something I would love in my bedroom. Z Gallerie has nothing on you, in fact they could do with somebody of your creative caliber in their design team.
    I MUST make something like this for myself, I have lived without a night light in a jar for long enough. I will feature this on my blog soon, so happy you are playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cool! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Wishing you a grand week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea. This is so cute. I love it. I have a link party, and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/07/face-cleansing-oil-and-wednesdays.html
    It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet little light Donna. Thanks for linking up at Shabbilicious Friday.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!