Thursday, April 17, 2014

Books And Roses


old books, decor with faux flowers
 Sometimes a book needs a little help to find a new owner.

Sometimes a pretty ribbon and a rose bud will provide that help.

Sometimes I have fifteen minutes to create something simple.




Not really roses.

Not really real.

Not really clean.

But a free basket of flowers is a free basket of flowers and nothing more.

I took the bud-like ones and beat them outside - all clean - now.



I had this incomplete set of books found at the AAUW Book Fair - read here. .

I loved the tattered covers and the small size.

They deserved a little beautification.








A roll of French seam binding for the ribbon.

Once I was tired of buying it a few yards at a time.

So I bought 144 rolls of the stuff in assorted colors.

I will never run out again.

It is NOT French - it is to bind french seams on high quality clothing.

Used before surge sewing machines.

I purchased it from a guy who said there are warehouses of it in New York City just sitting around waiting for someone to pick it up.

I think he may have done that.

I asked him no questions.

He told me no lies.




Tore off the horrid leaves and cut the stems short.













Curled the stems around a pencil.

Then tied the "rose" bud on with the "French" seam binding.











Tagged them with prices and used them in a display of linens at the booth.

At least the books are real.

Books and "roses".





See y'all!



Photobucket/


Before I leave, I must tell you Linda at Coastal Charm has invited me to drag my junk over to Shop Talk this Friday.  If you have not visited Shop Talk, you are missing out on discovering interesting shops from all around. Linda features one each Friday.

You can plan your vacation trip to visit each and every one.









Use this discount code to receive 10% off your purchase at the Distressed Donna Etsy store:

DISTRESSEDDONNA14

SHOP HERE! 








Follow Me on Pinterest

Thrifty Life Thursday at Revisionary Life
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage 
Be Inspired #185 at Common Ground 






Shabbilicious Friday

Say G'Day SaturdayDwellings-The Heart of Your HomeA Stroll Thru Life

12 comments:

  1. Oh so pretty! I love them...:) They would be so pretty in so many vignettes. Wheels are spinning! Happy Thursday....Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute idea! I can't wait to see your space on Shop Talk tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like a tutorial on how to beat your roses clean outside. What a great combination of materials! These are sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gather said flowers in the left hand and beat furiously against the outside brick wall. Great for cleaning silk flowers and releasing tension!

      Delete
    2. Love your tutorial Donna ... I think I can do it. I need to release tension !

      The tattered books with clean roses and French ribbon are so cute.
      Hugs,
      Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

      Delete
  4. love the shabby red books . . . love the ribbon tied around them . . . love the roses . . . a beautiful idea that I am sure will sell quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooo.... pink roses on beautifully tattered books. Perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those old books, roses or not! But they do look very cute with the roses. You are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to meet you Donna and thank you for stopping by my blog! I LOVE meeting new friends. I love the books and look forward to getting to know more about your shop over at Coastal Charm! Blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty...I am glad you bought the worn books. They have such character and look great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the old books, but I wouldn't have thought of pairing them with the flowers! Thanks for sharing at Revisionary Life Thrifty Life Thursday!
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  10. You added the perfect special touch! Thanks so much for sharing at Amaze Me Monday...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!