Thursday, June 5, 2014

Serene Blue


distressed painting, Americana Decor Chalky Paint, end table, furniture makeover
She looks quite lovely in her coat of blue.

I used Home Depot's Americana Decor Chalky Finish Paint in Serene.

I don't get paid or advertise for any product, but I will tell you if something is worth the money.





I had a previous post on Black Beauty painted in Carbon.  HERE!




The end table was a loner - no twin in sight.

She was headed to the dumpster as she had been overlooked too long and other pieces of furniture were demanding her space.

I will admit she was quite sun-faded, but not sun-damaged.

All the ugliness was limited to the color of the finish, not the finish itself.

She is well-made by an American company in the fifties.








After applying the paint and letting her settle in the cool of the living room for a day or two, I decided on a whim to stencil her top.

Just a little fillip or two.

Word of warning:  Do not, I repeat, do not use a cheap stencil.

I thought it was a deal.

But a stencil with NO registration marks?

No repeating pattern?

Talk about driving you crazy.





I got over it and sanded her down for distressing.

Waxed her with clear Minwax.













So how did I "fix" the stencil?

I lightly brushed Serene blue over the spots where the edges of the stencil met unevenly.





It tricks the eye into thinking, "Hey, great stenciling!"




Doesn't she look ravishing in the wilds of the yard?

















Yes, I think I see the beginnings of a smile on her face.

Maybe just a shy grin.





And to think she was headed straight to the dumpster when I stepped in to save her..

She is now at Riverfront Antique Mall waiting to be sold.



Note of honesty:  I was happily painting away on this beauty - had the drawer out - made sure to paint all around it - painted all along the inside of the table.

Guess what?  Painters, you know what happened.  There was no way that drawer was going to fit into that space with all that paint.

A whole lot of sanding later, the drawer slides in and out quite nicely.

And I do have a few strands of hair left after pulling out the rest.

See y'all!








Use this discount code to receive 10% off your purchase at the Distressed Donna Etsy store:

DISTRESSEDDONNA14

SHOP HERE! 








Follow Me on Pinterest

Fabulously Creative Friday at Jennifer Rizzo
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage 
The Cottage Market Presents Junkin Joe Every Friday  
Thrifty Things Friday #4 at Melissa's Antiques 
Thrifty Life Thursday #21 at Revisionary Life 
Knick Of Time #140 
Share Your Cup Thursday #106 

Thoughts from Alice


 

 

Shabbilicious Friday 

 


Furniture Feature FridaysThoughts from AliceA Stroll Thru LifeSavvy Southern Style GREEN wILLOW POND Nancherrow

20 comments:

  1. She looks sooo much better now. Love that colour! Thanks for the tip on the drawer. All the frustration paid off, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out great! I like how the "cheap stencil" makes it look a little distressed. Perfectly fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's a beauty now, good save with the stencil. Been there, done that with too much paint on and around a drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, she is a thing of beauty. I love the blue and the stencil looks just perfect.. Great rescue! I am sure she will go to a great home soon.. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s so pretty! I had a leather sofa some time back and over time, the leather changed color slightly. It was blue and I didn’t keep up the ‘recommended leather care’. It was very durable and repelled all stains, food, etc. I have three boys myself, so that was great. We used it for years and then I gave it away to a needy family.
    Congrats! Great looking table…table-lamps-designs

    Modern Dining Table and Chair

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this Donna!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great and the stencil worked out anyway. I did not know Home Depot had chalky paint so I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great color choice! I love her...:) And...I survived waterslide party day...just barely though! I'm feeling 95 today instead of 45 though...lol!

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful! And you know I'm jealous of your stencil skills!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you rescued this beauty from the dumpster! It really is lovely, and I think the problems with the stencil definitely worked out for the best. ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Donna, I just met you over on Susan's blog. The funny thing is that I've been following you on Etsy for a bit of time but didn't connect the blog :) Anyway, it's nice to meet you and I hope to follow you as you journey to find rusty stuff! Blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your table turned out lovely! Love the stencil! Funny you should comment on how NOT to paint outside of drawers, I painted my husbands dresser drawers on the sides, so when you pull them out they'd look great! Well, he has a heck of a time opening and closing his drawers, I have yet to sand them down!! Dahh! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You already know I love this piece, but wanted to tell you thanks for sharing @ TTF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely, serene and the stenciling looks ethereal. :) Yes, beautiful against your lush green! Thanks so much for sharing this at Revisionary Life Thrifty Life Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty now! I love that shade... I may have to pick some up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The perfect colour for her I think and she looks amazing now. Well done Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how it turned out! Thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think she turned out great! The stencil looks aged and worn, in other words, perfect! Thank you for sharing it and your cute prairie basket and yard sale finds at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great weekend!
    Blessings, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  19. She is a beauty Donna! I love how she looks a little time worn. Just the way I like them! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!